Monday, March 8, 2010

Cheesy Potato Soup

I finally made a good potato soup! Chad loves potato soup from O'Charley's and I have been trying to make his grandma's recipe but it never came out right. I thought I would try this recipe. It seemed easy enough and it was. It turned out great :) The only drawback was that it took some time to chop everything. I didn't even think about this when planning when to eat dinner so we ate slightly later than planned but it's ok we still ate :) I know I could have chopped my veggies when I brought home everything from the grocery but I was in a rush that day.
Definitely try this recipe!

Cheesy Potato Soup
Source: Crystal's Creations

Ingredients -
8-10 medium Red Potatoes
Water to cover potatoes
1 Green Pepper
1 large Onion
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 package Bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 cup Milk
1/3 package Velveeta, cut into 1" cubes
1 teaspoon Celery Seed (I omitted)
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Preparation:
Quarter and cut potatoes into small pieces. ( I cut mine into sticks) You can peel them or scrub and leave skin on. You may leave the skin on for red or new potatoes, and peel if using others.Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water; add salt. Boil, covered until tender.

While potatoes are boiling, place bacon, onion, garlic, and green pepper in another large pot and sauté until bacon is cooked, green peppers are tender, and onions are clear.

Drain bacon fat, except for about 1 tablespoon. Add celery seed, salt, and ground pepper and sauté for 1 more minute.

Add sautéd ingredients to undrained boiled potatoes. Turn heat to medium.

Add Velveeta and stir soup until cheese melts. Add milk, and stirring constantly, heat until soup is hot.

Be careful not to burn it.

No comments: