Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Broccoli Cheese Soup


I love Panera's broccoli cheese soup! When I saw this recipe I quickly bookmarked it. I had some extra broccoli left over so I thought I would give it a try tonight. The soup was good but it lacked a real intense flavor. I also never got it to really thicken up. I am sure though as I eat the leftovers it will thicken up.
I got the recipe from here

Broccoli cheese soup
INGREDIENTS
4 cups fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups milk
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of celery soup (I used 1 can of celery and one can of cream of chicken)
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I used 3 cups of cheese)

DIRECTIONS
In a large soup pot, cook broccoli in broth until tender, about 10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, mix together milk and condensed celery soup. Blend cornstarch with cold water, then stir into soup mixture. Pour into the pot with the broccoli. Cook over medium heat, stirring steadily until thick and bubbly. Stir in cheese, and simmer, stirring until hot. Do not boil.
Serve with french bread or sour dough bread

2 comments:

Carrie said...

How can you go wrong with Paneras soup? I am going to try this!

Tricia G. said...

Absolutely love reading your recipes...gives me ideas. :o) I have been sick recently so I haven't gotten to try the Paula Dean recipe yet...can't wait to though! I would love to make the baby cards for you. Just let me know! :o)