Sunday, November 18, 2007
This apple pie is the best apple pie recipe ever. I got it from some magazine a long time ago and I will not change the recipe I use.
Crunchy Crumb Apple Pie
1 refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crust ( from 15 oz. box)
Crunchy Crumb Topping
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp all- purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown-sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 stick ( 1/2 cup) cold butter, cut in small pieces
7 medium to large tart apples ( about 3 1/4 lb) such as granny smith
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
18 tsp nutmeg
1. Have a 9-in pie plate and a baking sheet ready. Place oven rack in lowest position in oven. Heat oven to 450
2. Line pie plate with crust as package directs.
3. Topping Mix flour, sugars and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in butter ( or rub in with fingertips) until mixture forms moist, coarse crumbs that clump together easily.
4. Filling Peel, halve and core apples. Cut in 1/8 in. thick slices. Place in large bowl,, add lemon juice and toss to coat. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl, sprinkle over apples and toss to coat.
5. Layer apple slices in pie shell, mounding them higher in the center. Pat topping evenly over apples to form a top crust. Place pie on the baking sheet to catch any drips.
6. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 and bake 45 minutes longer or until a skewer meets some resistance when center of pie is pierced and topping is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.