Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Beef and Broccoli

I took another step in my cooking journey! I want to be more adventurous but yet I haven't put those words into action. Now when I say I cook Mexican or Italian cuisine I'm talking spaghetti and tacos! I finally stepped out of those genres and stepped into asian cuisine!
I know I'm a wimp. What was I thinking, this was so easy I don't know why I get so nervous to try something different!
Thanks to Joeleen for such a great recipe. This really was easy and of course delicious!


Beef & Broccoli
original Joelen recipe

Marinade:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce (regular or low sodium)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb boneless round steak, cut into thin strips

2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon oyster sauce (I searched and searched for this but could not find it in my grocery!)
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
salt & pepper to taste




In a bowl, combine the sugar, soy sauce, water, garlic powder, and beef. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.

When ready to prepare, warm up a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil to heat up. Once hot, saute the garlic and onion until softened.

Add the marinated beef and marinade to the skillet. Saute the beef until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the water, oyster sauce and broccoli florets. Let it come to a boil and allow the liquid to reduce and the broccoli cooks from the steam.


When the liquid has reduced almost completely, season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve over steamed rice or noodles

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Great job in trying out Asian cuisine! It looks delicious and I'm glad you liked it! :)