Monday, November 1, 2010

Cornbread

My grandmother was a great, true southern cook. She passed away a little over a year ago and I still have urges to call her to tell her about my newest cooking adventure. Tonight was one of those nights.
I was able to have many of my Grandma's cooking tools. Tonight I used her cast iron skillet to make this corn bread. I have never cooked with a cast iron skillet and I was excited to try something new.
I made chili for dinner tonight and decided to make cornbread to go with it. I had some buttermilk to use up so I searched on allrecipes.com. This was a simple recipe and the cornbread came out great. Really moist and sweet.


Buttermilk Corn Bread Recipe
Source: All Recipes

1 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil


Directions
1.In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. round or square baking pan (pan will be full). Bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm

No comments: