Thursday, January 24, 2008

Happy Birthday!

I'm still here! We were gone for awhile after Christmas and I haven't cooked anything new or blogworthy until tonight! Chad's birthday was Tuesday but we weren't able to celebrate until tonight! I thought I would try something new that I know he loves! The Cheesesteaks were good but lacking a little flavor! I also made some roasted broccoli for myself. It turned out really good but next time I want to try it with some fresh garlic! I got the Cheesesteak recipe from here.




Philly Cheese steak
3/4 - 1 lb sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
2 6-inch sub rolls, split lengthwise
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, sliced
salt & pepper
2-3 slices provolone cheese
mayonnaise (optional)
Cut the meat into 1-inch wide strips. Put on plate and freeze the meat until the exterior hardens but the interior remains soft, about 25 minutes. Do not freeze more than 30 minutes or meat will become grainy. Slice sirloin as thin as possible using a sharp knife or use food processor fitted with slicing disk.
Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread mayonnaise as desired on split rolls on a baking sheet. Bake 5 to 10 minutes. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add the onions and saute until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the shaved meat, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and continue to cook until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Turn the heat to low, shingle the slice of cheese over the meat, and allow to melt, about 1 minute. Fold the melted cheese into the meat. Divide the meat and cheese mixture evenly among the toasted rolls

For the roasted broccoli I just tossed them in some olive oil, salt and pepper!

No comments: